Are you feeling old? If not,
- The people who are starting
college this fall across the nation were born in 1980.
- The Iranian hostage crisis
occurred before they were conceived.
- They have no memory of a time
- "New Wave" is their
PARENTS musical generation.
- Cyndi Lauper, Boy George, the
Pretenders, the Kinks, the Sex Pistols -- are all old
music they have heard of, if they have heard of it at
- They have no meaningful
recollection of the Reagan era.
- They were prepubescent when
the Persian Gulf War was waged.
- If they have heard the name
"Oliver North," it was probably as a losing
Congressional candidate, or perhaps in some obscure
survey history text's reference, such as might be made to
Huey Long or Teapot Dome.
- Black Monday 1987 is as
significant to them as the Great Depression.
- Their world has always
- Having not lived through the
Disco Scare, they can romanticize the 1970s.
- They see "Family
Ties" as something middle aged ladies watch.
- They watched "Star
Wars" years ago, when they were kids -- on video.
- Atari predates them, as do
vinyl albums and cassette audiotapes; they may have heard
of an 8-track, but probably never actually seen (or
- From their earliest years, a
camera was something you used once and threw away.
- As far as they know, stamps
have always cost about 32 cents.
- The oil crisis is history of
which they probably know nothing -- and why anyone
WOULDN'T buy a suburban is beyond them.
- Most of them have probably
never seen a real nun, even if they went to Catholic
Last modified: 11/26/1997